Build Your Future as a Dental Assistant
Across the country, there is a profound shortage of qualified Dental Assistants and Registered Dental Assistants. Our program prepares students to satisfy this need. As a Dental Assistant you will be involved in a variety of duties including managing the front office, preparing the patient, taking radiographs, and mixing dental materials.
The Dental Assisting Program is a two-semester program that includes patient care experiences in a fully equipped on-site facility, with students assigned to clinics or dental offices for their externship experiences. Registered Dental Assistants not only are supportive members of the dental team, but also perform important in-mouth, oral procedures under the supervision of a licensed dentist.
After successful completion of the Dental Assisting Program, students are eligible for certification in the following areas:
- Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)
- Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)
- Radiation Safety
- Coronal Polish
- Pit and Fissure Sealants
- Infection Control
- Dental Practice Act
- CPR (Basic Life Support/ 2 year Certification)
After completion of dental assisting requirements, students may also earn a Dental Assisting Associate in Science Degree.
The job market for successful graduates consists of general dentistry as well as specialties in various disciplines such as oral surgery, orthodontics, pedodontics, endodontics, prosthodontics, and periodontics. These office settings vary from private to group practice, but also consist of supportive industries such as dental laboratories, insurance industries sales, and education.
The Cypress College Dental Assisting Program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and has been granted the accreditation status of approval without reporting requirements. The program also is accredited by the Dental Board of California, the Accrediting body for dental professionals in California through the Department of Consumer Affairs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dental Assisting Certificate, 32 units
Dental Assisting Associate in Science Degree, 60 units
Depending on the number of prerequisites required and the number of units taken each semester, completing the certificate or the degree can take from two semesters to two years.
The program is $46 per unit for California residents, not including books, fees, and supplies. Units vary by course, but the average is three units per course. The unit cost for the certificate and associate degree will vary depending upon the number of prerequisites needed. Most students also qualify for some form of financial aid. See more at http://www.cypresscollege.edu/academics/divisions-special-programs/health-science/dental-assisting/dental-assisting-program-costs/.
You'll be able to work in general dentistry as well as various specialties like oral surgery, orthodontics, pedodontics, endodontics, prosthodontics, and andperiodontics. Salaries range from $31,160 to $46,000.
Office settings vary from private to group practice, and supportive industries such as dental laboratories, insurance industries sales, and education.
- Eligibility for admission to Cypress College.
- High School graduation, or passing of the General Education Development (GED) or high school proficiency test, or an associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Minimum age of 17 to apply. Must be 18 years old by the end of the program.
- Evidence of good physical and mental health as determined by medical examination upon admission to the program and prior to enrollment.More information on the Dental Assisting program is available in the program information sheet: http://news.cypresscollege.edu/Documents/health-science/Dental-Assisting-Brochure-2019-20.pdf
- American Dental Association
- American Dental Assistants Association
- Cypress College Dental Assisting Program pass rates and statistics
- Dental Board of California
Please consider attending an information workshop about Cypress College Health Science Programs. The Health Science Workshop Schedule and Reservations link is here: http://news.cypresscollege.edu/Documents/health-science/Health-Science-Workshop-Series.pdf