Build Your Future as an Accountant
In the Accounting Program, you will learn how businesses and organizations manage money, and you’ll be prepared to join a profession that U.S. News Best Jobs Rankings consistently places among the top “10 Best Business Jobs.”
An accountant is a person who keeps or inspects financial records. They’re “numbers” people who excel at organization and detail-oriented work. Managing money and finances, accountants must possess a high degree of integrity and strict ethical standards. And because they are constantly interacting with clients, accountants also should have good oral and written communication skills, in addition to analytical competence.
The College of Business and Economics at California State University, Fullerton, and Cypress College recently signed an agreement that creates a program for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in accounting in four years and continue to earn a master’s degree in the fifth year with Guaranteed Transfer. The Cypress Collage Accounting Pathway Program is now open for enrollment for fall 2022. Click here for more information on CCAP.
Many students begin their accounting education at Cypress College and transfer to four-year institutions. The Cypress College Business Administration Associate in Science Degree for Transfer is geared toward that goal. Cypress also offers an Accounting Associate in Science Degree (AS) as well as an Accounting Certificate.
Reasons to take accounting at Cypress College:
- Instructors who care about your success!
- Free personalized academic tutoring (individual tutoring)
- Free supplemental instruction (SI) (group study led by a former student)
- Free Smarthinking Online Tutoring (immediately connect with a tutor online)
- Meet business professionals at the Annual Accounting Career Day
- Learn how your major can lead to a great career at the Majors2Careers Event
- Join the Cypress College Business Club, which organizes guest speakers, tours of businesses, and workshops to teach students about business organizations and help students obtain internships and jobs.
Our mission is to help students meet all of these important objectives. Our courses, faculty, and support systems are designed to provide you with the greatest opportunity to be successful in future business courses and in your professional career.
Business Education Building, Room 206
Frequently Asked Questions
Students may earn the following degrees and certificates at Cypress College:
Accounting Associate in Science Degree (AS), 60 units
Accounting Certificate, 28 units
Business Administration Associate in Science for Transfer Degree (AS-T), 60 units
You may attend full-time or part-time. Full-time students typically take between 12-18 units per semester. The Accounting Certificate (28 units) can be earned in two semesters and AS Degrees (60 units) in two years. Courses are offered on campus, online, during the day, and in the evenings.
The program is $46 per unit for California residents, not including books, fees, and supplies. Units vary by course, but the average is 3 units per course. Unit fees for the 28-unit certificate would be $1,288 and the 60-unit associate degrees would be approximately $2,760, depending upon the number of prerequisites needed. Most students also qualify for some financial aid.
- Businesses – From small sole proprietorships to Fortune 500 companies, all businesses, whether they sell goods or provide services, need accountants to help manage the financial aspects of a business to maximize income.
- Government – Local, city, state, and federal governmental agencies need accountants to serve their constituents effectively within budgets.
- Non–profit Organizations – Although the focus is on working towards a mission, all non-profit agencies need to effectively manage their financial operations.
- Public Accounting Firms – Serve clients of public accountant firms in the areas of audit, tax, or advisory. You can gain insight on the business aspects of companies in a variety of industries.
I have been teaching Accounting since 1999 at Cypress College. I've taught previously at Mount San Antonio College, Rio Hondo College, and Fullerton College, as well.
Program Mapper: View course options for these programs, below.
Students can earn the following degrees and certificates at Cypress College:
To register for Accounting 101: Financial Accounting, there is a math prerequisite of MATH 038 C or MATH 040 C or MATH 041 C with grades of “C” or better.
Most accounting positions require a bachelor’s degree in accounting. Entry-level positions, such as an accounting clerk position, may be available for those with an associate degree in accounting or an accounting certificate.