Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program Information Page
Diagnostic Medical Sonography 2021-2022
OPTION OF THE RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
PROGRAM MISSION STATEMENT
The Cypress College Diagnostic Medical Sonography program provides a high-quality education to prepare a diverse population of students with entry level skills needed to become competent and confident sonographers.
Division of Health Science
- To prepare competent entry-level general sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- Students will develop the skills necessary to communicate effectively.
- Students will use critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Students will evaluate the importance of professional development and growth.
- The program will provide the community with entry level sonographers for employment in the healthcare setting.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
The student will:
- Apply appropriate scanning techniques in all sonography procedures.
- Employ proper patient care techniques.
- Demonstrate oral and written communication skills.
- Be able to relate to and anticipate the needs of the doctors and technologists.
- Be able to adjust to changes, situations, patient conditions, and deviation from the normal routine.
- Demonstrate knowledge of ethical requirements for an entry level sonographer along with ethical practices in a healthcare setting.
- Understand their professional obligations upon gaining their ARDMS status.
Students will be required to pass a formal background check before admittance to an affiliated hospital for training.
Note: If you have been subject to revocation, suspension, or disciplinary action by:
- a) State licensing board;
- b) Federal agency;
- c) National professional association and/or are presently charged with or have ever been convicted or found guilty of, or pleaded nolo contendere to any crime or misdemeanor directly related to public health and safety and/or the provisions of diagnostic medical sonography or vascular technology services.
YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO DECLARE THIS ON YOUR NATIONAL REGISTRY APPLICATION TO WRITE THE EXAMINATION.
These activities may affect your eligibility to write the National Registry Examination.
- MINIMUM STANDARDS TO APPLY
- Apply to Cypress College to obtain a Cypress College student ID# and Cypress College email address ending with nocccd.edu. The Cypress College email address will be used within your Health Science Application and for all program email interactions between the college faculty and staff, clinical sites, and any other program related email interactions.
- High School graduation, or passing of the General Education Development (GED) test, or the High School Proficiency test.
- Minimum age of 17 years to apply. Must be 18 years old at the start of clinical training.
- Present evidence of good physical and mental health, as determined by medical examination upon admission to program and prior to enrollment.
- Overall GPA of 2.0 in all college classes taken. Official transcripts of all colleges attended are required.
- Must have own transportation to all affiliated hospitals.
- Eligibility for English 100C or ENGL 101C or ESL 110C College Writing.
- Students need to have in-progress or completed all program prerequisites, with a grade of “C” or better, from a Regionally Accredited College.
- Students need to have in-progress or completed all general education courses, with a grade of “C” or better, or already have an Associate Degree or higher from a Regionally Accredited College.
* Note – Beginning spring 2023, all prerequisites and general education courses will need to be completed prior to applying.
PROGRAM PREREQUISITES AND REQUIREMENTS
The following program prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of the spring semester with a minimum “C” grade in each course. Once a passing grade has been achieved, courses cannot be repeated for a better grade.
RADT 142C Radiologic Electronics (or any introduction or general physics course) 4
RADT 153C Radiography Patient Care 3
HS 145C Survey of Medical Terminology 3
HS 147C Survey of Disease 3
BIOL 210C Anatomy & Physiology 5
COMM 100C or ENGL 100C or ENGL 101C or ESL 110C Communication/Writing 3
CIS 111C Computer Information Systems 3
MATH 040C Intermediate Algebra (or any math meeting GE) 4
DMS 160C* Introduction to Sonography 2
*Satisfactory completion of DMS 160C Introduction to Sonography must be completed at Cypress College during the summer session prior to the next fall semester. This course is offered only to the accepted and alternate students who will start the program in the following fall semester. DMS 160 is a non-repeatable course. Failure to pass, or a withdrawl from the course with a “W,” will prevent eligibility for future applications.
GENERAL EDUCATION AND GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
The following General Education/Graduation areas are required for the Associate Degree. For options refer to the Associate Degree requirements in the catalog. All required courses must be completed with a “C” or better.
ARTS AND HUMANITIES
Arts (minimum 3 units)
Humanities (minimum 3 units)
SOCIAL SCIENCE (minimum 6 units)
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY/HEALTH (1-3 units)
Social Justice, Equity and Sustainability (formerly known as Cultural Diversity)
Please refer to the Cypress College Catalog for current Native General Education requirements.
- Before the application opens online, review and follow the instructions on the Checklist and Sample Application on the Diagnostic Medical Sonography home page.
- Apply to Cypress College to obtain a Cypress College student ID# and Cypress College email address ending with nocccd.edu. Once a Cypress College Student ID# has been received, submit required official transcripts to Cypress College Admissions and Records. Required items will be listed on the Health Science Applications signature page after applying to the program. Cypress and Fullerton College transcripts do not need to be submitted to the admissions office.
- Digitally (directly from school to school) – send to email@example.com, Attn: Transcripts
- Through mail (unofficial if opened)
Admissions and Records – Transcripts
9200 Valley View St.
Cypress, CA 90630
- Application must be completed online during the month of February. Please see the Diagnostic Medical Sonography home page for more information and application deadline: https://careers.cypresscollege.edu/programs/diagnostic-medical-sonography/
- Applicants must use the Cypress College email address ending with nocccd.edu to submit the application and the required documents by the application deadline provided on the application.
- Determination of acceptance is based upon the selection criteria. (SEE SPECIFICS BELOW)
CANDIDATE SELECTION CRITERIA
Students for the DMS program are currently selected using the point system listed below. No other criteria are used for selection. Students who are not accepted to the program will need to re-apply the following year. Applicants normally exceed capacity.
- Students need to have completed all general education courses and program pre-requisites by the end of the spring semester. Beginning spring 2023, all pre-requisites and general education courses will need to be completed prior to applying.
- Total GPA points on program prerequisites (max 50 points)
- 4.0. ………………………… 50 points
- 3.5-3.9. …………………… 40 points
- 3.0-3.4. …………………… 30 points
- 2.5-2.9. …………………… 20 points
- 2.0-2.4. …………………… 10 points
- Additional points
- Five (5) points will be given for each consecutive eligible application.
- Ten (10) points for successful completion of DMS 160 C with a grade of “C” or better.
- (Must be accepted into program or an alternate to take)
- Grade point average (GPA) of all program pre-requisite courses will determine who will be selected in the event there is a tie in points. Date and time of application will be used for identical GPA’s.
- Selection criteria is subject to change.
- Class enrollment is based on the number of approved clinical education centers available. Student capacity is also determined by the Joint Review Commission in Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonographers.
- F-1 visa students will not be accepted for admission into any program when applications by qualified U.S. citizens exceed space available (AP 5012 1.4.).
SUBMIT NEEDED DOCUMENTS FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE APPLICATION.
Health Science Applications Office
Health Science Building/TE3-217
9200 Valley View St.
Cypress, CA 90630-5897
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS NEEDED FROM STUDENTS TO START THE PROGRAM
- Clear Background Check (instructions provided by Program Director)
- Complete Physical and Flu shot (forms provided by Program Director)
- Pass Drug Screen (depending on hospital assignment)
- Personal liability insurance (instructions provided by Program Director)
- Personal health insurance
DIAGNOSTIC MEDICAL SONOGRAPHY REQUIREMENTS
Semester I (fall)
DMS 170C Sonography Physics………………………….. 3.5
DMS 172C Sonography Externship (16 hr./week) ……….. 5.0
DMS 175C Abdomen Scanning…………………………… 4.0
RADT 262C** Cross Sectional Imaging…………………….. 1.0
HS 165C** Ethical Choices in Healthcare ………………. 1.5
Semester II (spring)
DMS 186C OB/GYN Scanning…………………………….. 4.0
DMS 176C Pathology and Small Parts. …………………. 3.0
DMS 207C Clinical Education I (24 hr./week) ……………… 8.0
Semester III (summer)
DMS 188C Doppler Techniques. …………………………. 1.5
DMS 217C Clinical Education II (32 hr./week) …………….. 7.0
Semester IV (fall)
DMS 195C Carotid and Arterial Sonography…………… 4.0
DMS 227C Clinical Education III (32hr./week)………….. 11.0
Semester V (spring)
DMS 210C Review Seminar. ……………………………… 2.5
DMS 237C Clinical Education IV (32hr./week) ………….. 11.0
** May be taken prior to enrollment.
NOTE: The Sonography courses must be taken in a specific sequence.
Students must attain a minimum grade of “C” in all required courses to obtain the certificate.
A Certificate in Diagnostic Medical Sonography is also available.
Please refer to current college catalog.
The Cypress College Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee in Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
9355-113th St. N, #7709
Seminole, FL 33775
Phone: (727) 210-2350
The North Orange County Community College District, in compliance with all applicable Federal and State Laws, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, religion, disability, sex, or sexual orientation in any of its policies, procedures, or practices.
The district is also committed to maintaining campuses that are free of harassment, drugs and alcohol.
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT:
Health Science Counselor
9200 Valley View Street
Cypress, CA 90630-5897